Interested in learning the basics of hand lettering? Come hang out for a workshop on how to create your own Valentine’s day card by hand. The workshop will start out with lettering and typography basics, demonstrate live lettering, and provide hands-on feedback. This 3-hour class will give you plenty of time to play with lettering forms while learning the craft.
Come with a short phrase in mind for a special someone to hand letter on your card, or pick from a short list during the workshop!
Cost of workshop: $40
Objectives & Topics
- Understand the difference between Lettering, Calligraphy, and Typography
- Basic understanding of Type Terminology
- Constructing Letterforms
- Creating Original Compositions
- Transferring your design to a card and inking.
- Give you the foundations to take your skills home and practice, practice, practice
- Pencil, eraser, micron pen, and folder with printed guidelines for lettering exercises during class
- Tracing Paper, transfer paper, card stock, and an envelope, will be provided during the workshop
- Digital workbook (to be emailed after class) including a brief overview of the presentation, guidelines for a variety of lettering styles, and helpful lettering resources with a list of favorite tools.
- You’re welcome to bring your own snacks or supplies
All skill levels welcomed. Beginners are highly encouraged to attend.
About the Instructor
Mike is the lead creative at the Ecker Design Company. He attended Marymount Manhattan College to study Graphic Design and Photography. After graduation, he worked as an in-house Graphic Designer in New York City before branching out and starting the Ecker Design Company in 2016.
He found his passion for lettering while working full-time as a graphic designer. Spending his time outside of his 9-5 job practicing, reading, and studying the art. He always enjoyed making things with his hands, and lettering gives him the opportunity to do just that. Through lettering, he has found a new fulfillment in his work.
He has taken workshops with Aaron Draplin, Jon Contino, Ken Barber, Ryan Hamrick, Steve Wolf, and Jeremy Friend to further refine his skills in both lettering and design.
In his free time, he enjoys camping, hiking, craft beer, biking, surfing, baseball, skateboarding, dogs, and guitar. He is also a huge Orioles and Ravens fan.Learn More