deadline November 27
posted by Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest
*There is a one day grace period for any artist who started an application prior to the above deadline. This is to accommodate the time difference for artists on the west coast. Applications will not be accepted after this grace period has passed.
RESIDENCY DURATION & DATES
• Up to 4 artists are selected for residencies at Bernheim on an annual basis. One residency is dedicated to a regional artist currently living in Kentucky or in Clark and Floyd counties of Southern Indiana. One residency is dedicated to an artist whose work addresses environmental issues and climate change.
• Duration is anywhere between 6 – 8 weeks. (please see FAQ below in regard to timing of total immersion experience)
• Selected artists will work with Bernheim in arranging residency dates based on their desired time and availability within the months of 2024.
• $2500 stipend. Regional artists also have year-round access to Bernheim resources within the year selected.
• Furnished, one-bedroom rustic cabin with full kitchen, bath and Wi-Fi.
• Modest studio space with good light and heat, located on the edge of a 35-acre lake. The is no special art making equipment, but artists have limited access to basic hand and power tools upon request and must prove they can operate them safely before using.
• The horticulture and operations departments, as well as staff ecologists, scientists, naturalists and forest managers are able to provide guidance and support of Artist in Residence projects. Please note, Bernheim staff are not here to entertain visiting artists nor responsible for the creation or installation of proposed work.
• Free or heavily discounted classes, workshops, night walks, etc., while in residence.
• High profile public and private events promote awareness of artists and arts program.